Michigan’s only American Chemical Society designated Forensic Lawyer-Scientist Barton Morris has been providing high quality legal representation in the area of state and federal criminal defense for over 20 years. He continually emphasizes continuing legal education as he has attended several programs and seminars to enhance and perfect his practice. Barton and his law firm pride themselves on obtaining results for their clients that other attorneys cannot. Barton has also demonstrated his proficiency in effectively challenging several types of evidence with the latest defense strategies in the field. Further, Barton Morris has received specialized training in the forensic analysis of solid dose controlled substances and biological specimins which allows Barton Morris to successfully argue scientific defenses including questionable forensic laboratory practices. Barton Morris is a very accomplished trial attorney having been trained by Gerry Spence and the expert trial attorneys at the exclusive Trial Lawyer’s College in Dubois, Wyoming. Having performed countless successful criminal jury trials means Barton Morris has the experience necessary to provide excellent representation to his clients. Barton Morris is also a board member of several distinguished legal associations including the Trial Lawyer’s College Alumni Association, the Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys, and the DUI Defense Lawyer’s Association Justice Foundation. Additionally Barton serves on the faculty of the National College for DUI Defense and the DUI Defense Lawyer’s Association. He is also an active member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys and has also graduated from their National Criminal Defense Trial College in Macon, Georgia.
Attorney Morris has enjoyed a very successful and distinguished career as a trial lawyer. He is known for his trial preparation by fellow attorneys, judges and prosecutors. As a trial attorney, he is dedicated to attaining justice in every case. Mr. Morris fights for his clients and does not take a case just to plead a client guilty. Effective trial litigation and preparation is the best way to achieve the best results. When the prosecutor and judge know that the defense attorney is prepared for trial and will do an exceptional job, great deals are had.
Barton Morris is also a very experienced federal criminal defense attorney having practiced extensively in the Eastern and Western Federal Districts of Michigan. He has successfully litigated federal criminal cases in the areas of health care and medicare fraud, mortgage fraud, drug trafficking prosecutions involving cocaine, marijuana, prescription pills, and ecstasy. He has also tried cases involving murder of a federal witness, production, possession and distribution of child pornography, and money laundering. Barton has the experience and skill to win any complex criminal prosecution in the Eastern and Western Districts.
In October of 2014 Barton Morris was the first attorney in Michigan to earn the American Chemical Society designation Forensic Lawyer-Scientist due to the completion of several intensive courses in forensic chromatography comprising of over 160 hours of education and lab and passing a very difficult comprehensive examination. Barton Morris is one of only 22 attorneys in the nation to have earned this distinction.
Barton Morris has earned several professional distinctions including being chosen as a Top Lawyer of Metro Detroit for 2012, 2013 & 2014 for criminal defense by DBusiness and Hour Magazine. He is rated 10/10 by AVVO and Barton has been selected to be a Super Lawyer for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Graduate Western Michigan University, Haworth College of Business, Bachelor in Business Administration, May 1994
- Graduate Michigan State University College of Law, May 1998
- Graduate NCDD Summer Session, Harvard Law School, July 2013
- Trial Lawyer’s College Alumni F Warrior Board Member, Region 7 2013-2016
- Graduate Trial Lawyers College, Dubois, Wyoming, September 2011
- Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys, Faculty and Board Member 2014-present
- Graduate of the National Criminal Defense College, Macon, Georgia, June 1999
Graduate of the Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan, Criminal Defense College, August 2010
Clerk for the Honorable David F. Breck, Oakland County Circuit Court Judge 1995-1998
Featured on Let It Rip, WJBK – My Fox Detroit, August 2011 and February 2018
- Rated 10/10 by AVVO
- Selected Super Lawyer 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Selected a Top Lawyer of 2012, 2013 and 2014 by DBusiness Magazine
- Media Appearances on 89X, 101 WRIF, 97.1 The Ticket, Fox 2 Let it Rip, WXYZ Channel 7
Certificates of Completion
- American Chemical Society “Lawyer-Scientist” Designation, October 2014
- American Chemical Society Forensic Chromatography Solid Drug Testing Course, April 2014
- American Chemical Society Forensic Chromatography GC/FID Blood Alcohol Testing Course, August 2013 and October 2014
- American Chemical Society Forensic Chromatography – GC/MS DUID Course, June 2014
- Drug Recognition Evaluation (DRE) Practitioner Course – two times
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) Practitioner Course – two times
- DMT Datamaster Evidential Breath Testing Operator Training Course
- BAC Datamaster Evidential Breath Testing Operator Training Course
- State Bar of Michigan, admitted November 6, 1998
- State Bar of Michigan, Marijuana Law Section, Board Member 2016-2020, Chair of Science Commmittee
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Criminal Practice Committee, Federal Bar Association Eastern District of Michigan
- National College of DUI Attorneys, General Member, Faculty
- Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys, Inaugural and Board Member
- Trustee, DUI Defense Lawyers Justice Foundation
- Charter Member and Faculty, DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- American Chemical Society, Chemistry and Law Division
- American Academy of Forensic Scientists
Licensed to practice law in
- State of Michigan
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
Email Barton at BMorris@BartonMorris.com