Being charged with possession or distribution of controlled substances or prescription drugs offense is one of the most serious criminal charges anyone can face. In certain circumstances, these charges can result in sentences of many years or even decades behind bars. Our Michigan drug crimes attorneys want to help you.
When facing the risk of such severe punishment, it’s critical to retain an experienced michigan drug crime lawyer that can address the three factors that lead to favorable results:
- Trial Representation – The willingness and ability to go to trial and fight for the client and their rights
- Forensic Science – Drugs are created through science and scientific evidence is what leads to convictions or acquittals
- Knowledge and Expertise – Laws are complex and detailed, the greater the knowledge of the attorney, the greater the defense they can provide
Why You Need an Attorney Who Is a Forensic Lawyer Scientist Criminal Defense Lawyer
Forensic evidence is usually scientific based evidence which is very common in every single drug case. The identification and weight of the substance involved is always an issue so the measurement and identification methods become very important. For instance, in drug cases we find that many controlled substances are often combinations of many different compounds. It can be very important as it relates to the mitigation of the offense characteristics, or a complete defense, to the case, as to the matter and reliability of that measurement and identification. If the government is saying, a certain controlled substance is fentanyl, but in fact, the majority of it is heroin, the government is being misleading, and that evidence contains a significant mitigating circumstance. Similarly, Michigan State police recently were performing scientific analysis, and the identification and amount of THC in somebody’s blood but in fact, they couldn’t really tell the difference between CBD and THC.
Criminal Defense Certified by The American Chemical Society
Barton Morris is the only forensic lawyer scientist certified by the American Chemical Society in the State of Michigan. To earn that distinction, it was necessary to undertake hundreds of hours of classroom instruction and hands-on scientific laboratory work in addition to passing a comprehensive test. Barton Morris is very well known for his scientific evidence experience, and that intelligence and experience will be valuable to any criminal defense.
Why Work With Our Criminal Drug Defense Attorneys
These three factors are what make the attorneys of The Law Offices of Barton Morris the best when it comes to defending clients charged with drug crimes.
1. We are experts in 4th Amendment Search and Seizure Law.
There is a law enforcement search in every drug crime. These searches must be a valuated for their constitutional legality. Search and seizure is a very important issue and a federal constitutional one. It’s important that define lawyers. Be skilled in these laws because opportunities will be missed otherwise. There is a huge body of law when it comes to constitutional search and seizure. Regardless, whether there is a search warrant or not, there are still rules that the police must adhere to. This is particularly true of warrantless searches, which are very common. Police will often rely upon consent, searches, but that consent must be freely voluntarily and knowingly delivered. Police will often take advantage of a persons, fear while giving consent, but that is not consent that is delivered freely or voluntarily.
2. We have a Wealth of Experience in Both Federal and State Drug Prosecutions.
Because search and seizure issues are largely federal and because federal prosecutions are generally much larger and scope. It’s good to have an attorney, have federal criminal experience with drug cases even for state prosecutions. Attorneys that are experiencing litigating. These issues on the federal level will be much more experienced and successful doing the same thing at the state of Michigan drug crime defense.
3. We are forensic science experts
Forensic evidence is usually scientific based evidence which is very common in every single drug case. The identification and weight of the substance involved is always an issue so the measurement and identification methods become very important. For instance, in drug cases we find that many controlled substances are often combinations of many different compounds. It can be very important as a relates to the mitigation of the offense characteristics, or a complete defense, to the case, as to the matter and reliability of that measurement and identification. If the government is saying, a certain controlled substance is fentanyl, but in fact, majority of it is heroin, the government is being misleading, and that evidence contains a significant mitigating circumstance. Similarly, Michigan State police recently we’re performing scientific analysis, and the identification and amount of THC in somebody’s blood but in fact, they couldn’t really tell the difference between CBD and THC.
Facing drug charges? Unhappy with your current attorney? Request a free consultation now.
Different Types of Drug Crimes
The state of Michigan classifies narcotics into categories called “schedules,” ranging from Schedule I (identified as high potential for abuse and no medical value) to Schedule V (low-risk drugs, often can be purchased over the counter).
There are many circumstances that may result in drug crime charges, including possession, drug trafficking, use, prescription fraud, manufacturing, and distribution.
The penalties for drug crimes in Michigan are some of the most severe, and the consequences of a conviction can be life-altering. An experienced criminal defense attorney will be familiar with all aspects of drug crimes and can help you understand both the charges brought against you as well as what your best course of action is.
Felony Drug Charges in Michigan
If you are facing felony drug charges in Michigan, it is important to know that the consequences are much more serious. A felony conviction can lead to a prison sentence of up to life in prison, as well as hefty fines and a criminal record that will follow you for the rest of your life. Some of the most common types of felony drug charges in Michigan are:
Manufacture of a Controlled Substance
- This charge is given if you are caught manufacturing drugs.
Delivery or Possession with Intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance
- This charge is given if you are caught selling drugs or possessing them with the intent to sell.
Possession of a Large Amount of a Controlled Substance
- This charge is given if you are caught with a large amount of drugs in your possession.
Misdemeanor Drug Charges in Michigan
If you are facing misdemeanor drug charges in Michigan, you may be wondering what to expect. The first thing you should know is that you have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, the court will appoint one for you. The next thing to know is that there are a few different types of misdemeanor drug charges in Michigan:
Possession of a Controlled Substance
- This is the most common type of misdemeanor drug charge. It simply means that you were caught with a small amount of drugs in your possession without the intent to sell or distribute.
Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- This charge is usually given if police find items like pipes, bongs, or syringes in your possession.
Use of a Controlled Substance
- This charge is given if you are caught using drugs, regardless of the amount in your possession.
The Law Offices of Barton Morris Criminal Defense Team Difference
Our attorneys are expert litigators and criminal trial lawyers. Having tried dozens of cases throughout their careers, they’ve racked up hundreds of hours of experience defending clients in front of numerous judges and juries.
Rely on our lawyers’ extensive knowledge, experience, education and track record.
- Barton Morris is Michigan’s only Forensic Lawyer-Scientist, as certified by the American Chemical Society
- One of only a few dozen certified nationally
- Member of the American Chemical Society, Chemistry and Law Division
- Member, American Academy of Forensic Scientists
- Trial Expertise through Experience and Education
- Trial Lawyer’s College Alumni F Warrior Board Member, Region 7 2013-2016
- Graduate, Trial Lawyers College, Dubois, Wyoming, September 2011
- Graduate of the Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan, Criminal Defense College, August 2010
- Graduate of the National Criminal Defense College, Macon, Georgia, June 1999
- President – Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys
- Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys, Inaugural and Board Member
- Charter Member and Faculty, DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- Selected by State Attorney General Dana Nessel to be a Member of Marijuana Legal Workgroup (2019)
- Guided development of DUI of Marijuana legislation
- Corrected common misbelief that THC levels measure level of impairment
Fighting for Your Freedom in Michigan
At The Law Offices of Barton Morris, we work to get to know and understand our clients. This allows us to provide even better legal services because we appreciate the person behind the case. Our drug possession attorneys are well-versed in all aspects of criminal law. We thoroughly investigate all cases and identify the approach that best suits our clients’ needs. More specifically, we’re thoroughly knowledgeable in defense strategies that relate to the fourth amendment. We will review your case and work with you to develop a personalized defense strategy that is designed to get you the best possible result. If charged with possession with Intent to Deliver, Trafficking, or regular possession, The Law Office of Barton Morris will the best drug crime defense law firm you can find to help you get the best outcome and avoid jail.
No matter what type of drug charges you are facing, it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side. The penalties for drug crimes in Michigan are harsh, and you need someone who knows the ins and outs of the legal system to help you get the best possible outcome in your case. Contact the Law Offices Of Barton Morris today for a free consultation!
If you are facing drug charges? Request a free consultation now. We will explain why we will achieve better results than other criminal drug crime defense lawyers.