Barton W. Morris
Top Criminal Defense Lawyer in Michigan
Barton Morris is Michigan’s only Forensic Lawyer-Scientist designated by the American Chemical Society and has been providing high-quality legal representation in the area of state and federal criminal defense for over 20 years. He continually emphasizes continuing legal education as he has attended several programs and seminars to enhance and perfect his practice.
Barton and his law firm pride themselves on obtaining results for their clients that other attorneys cannot. Barton has also demonstrated his proficiency in effectively challenging several types of evidence with the latest defense strategies in the field, such as the Michigan Impaired Driving Safety Commission’s report on whether a THC contraction would equate to intoxication. Barton was the only criminal defense attorney who presented to the commission. Subsequently, the report found that a single concentration cannot reliably be used as per se evidence of intoxication.
- Defense Strategies to Know in a DUI Case – March 2nd | ALU.edu
- Commission recommends against setting a blood level limit for pot – March 27th, 2019 | Michigan Radio (NPR)
- Michigan shouldn’t set legal limit for driving while high, commission says – March 26th, 2019 | MLive
Further, Barton Morris has received specialized training in the forensic analysis of solid dose controlled substances and biological specimens, which allows him to successfully argue scientific defenses including questionable forensic laboratory practices.
- Every Michigan DUI Case Could Be Impacted by Breathalyzer Controversy – January 15th, 2020 | Fox 2 News
- Michigan State Police Issues Stop Orders on Flawed Breathalyzer Tests – January 14th, 2020 | WWJ Newsradio 950 (audio)
- Michigan Police: Breathalyzer Tests Flawed, Stop Order Issued – January 13th, 2020 | WWJ Newsradio 950 (audio)
- MSP investigating concerns with breath alcohol testing devices – January 12th, 2020 | Channel 7 WXYZ
- Barton Morris Challenges the Practice of DUI Paramedic Blood Draws in Drunk Driving Cases – May 29th, 2015
- How Does The Best DUI Lawyer In Michigan Beat A Breath Alcohol Test? – February 14th, 2019
Barton Morris is a very accomplished trial attorney having been trained by Gerry Spence and the skilled trial attorneys at the exclusive Trial Lawyer’s College in Dubois, Wyoming. Having performed countless successful criminal jury trials means Barton Morris has the experience necessary to provide excellent representation to his clients. He is currently president of the Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys and is also a board member of several distinguished legal associations including the Michigan Department of Attorney General’s Marijuana Legal Workgroup, Trial Lawyer’s College Alumni Association and the DUI Defense Lawyer’s Association Justice Foundation.
Additionally, Barton serves on the faculty of the National College for DUI Defense and the DUI Defense Lawyer’s Association. He is also an active member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys and has also graduated from their National Criminal Defense Trial College in Macon, Georgia.
Attorney Morris has enjoyed a very successful and distinguished career as a trial lawyer. He is known for his trial preparation by fellow attorneys, judges, and prosecutors. As a trial attorney, he is dedicated to attaining justice in every case. Mr. Morris fights for his clients and does not take a case just to plead a client guilty. Effective trial litigation and preparation is the best way to achieve the best results. When the prosecutor and judge know that the defense attorney is prepared for trial and will do an exceptional job, great deals are had.
- Sterling Heights Police “Improperly” Impound Detroit Woman’s Car – August 13th, 2019 | Fox 2 News
- Barton Morris “Surprises” Attorney General with Acquittal for Medical Professional – June 19th, 2019 | Channel 7 WXYZ
- Barton Morris Clears Marijuana Charges and Prevents Deportation for Detroit Man – January 19th, 2019 | Channel 7 WXYZ
- Suit: Cops illegally seized car after $10 marijuana buy – Dec. 6th, 2018 | The Detroit News
- Michigan Judge Dismisses Criminal Cases of Viola Extracts Employees Arrested in Detroit Raid – August 3rd, 2018 | Cannabis Business Times
- Medical marijuana dispensary owner’s prison sentence raises questions over prosecution – March 28th, 2018 | Channel 7 WXYZ
- Royal Oak Agrees To Throw Out More Than 100 Noise Violation Tickets – August 23rd, 2017 | CBS Detroit
- Barton Morris Obtains Acquittal of Driving Under the Influence of Marijuana – July 20th, 2017
- Barton Morris Earns Jury Acquittal of Third Offense OWI Charges with Orajel Defense – April 29th, 2014
Barton is also an extremely experienced federal criminal defense attorney, having practiced extensively in the Eastern and Western Federal Districts of Michigan. He has successfully litigated federal criminal cases in the areas of healthcare and Medicare fraud, mortgage fraud, as well as drug trafficking prosecutions involving cocaine, marijuana, prescription pills, and ecstasy. He has also tried cases involving murder of a federal witness, production, possession and distribution of child pornography, and money laundering. Barton has the experience, skill and passion to handle any complex criminal prosecution in the Eastern and Western Districts.
In January 2020, Barton, alongside the non-profit libertarian public interest law firm Institute for Justice, filed a federal lawsuit against the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department. This lawsuit is aimed to stop the decades-long practice of unconstitutionally seizing vehicles and other property of innocent Detroiters. Since the filing of this lawsuit, one of the clients has been reunited with his vehicle and over $2,200 that was stolen from him by the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department.
- Detroiters sue Wayne County over seized vehicles and fees – February 20th, 2020 | WXYZ Channel 7
- Opinion: Police take Detroiter’s car, roll over his rights – February 20th, 2020 | The Detroit News
- Innocent Owners Sue Detroit For Seizing Cars, Holding Them Ransom – February 12th, 2020 | Forbes
- Lawsuit: Wayne County’s Vehicle Seizure Program is Illegal – February 6th, 2020 | Legal Reader
- Lawsuit challenges Wayne County’s seizure practices – February 5th, 2020 | The Center Square
- Lawsuit accuses Wayne County of unconstitutional vehicle seizures, holding them for “ransom” – February 5th, 2020 | Michigan Radio
- Lawsuit challenges Wayne County’s controversial vehicle forfeiture law – February 5th, 2020 | Fox 2 News
- Wayne County hit with lawsuit over vehicle forfeiture program – February 5th, 2020 | ClickOn Detroit (Channel 4)
- Authorities accused of wrongly seizing thousands of cars in Wayne County – February 5th, 2020 | Detroit Free Press
- Lawsuit challenges Wayne County’s seizure practices – February 5th, 2020 | The Neighbor
- Barton Morris and the Institute for Justice File a Federal Class-Action Lawsuit Against Wayne County – February 5th, 2020 | WWJ Newsradio 950 (audio)
- Michigan Cops Seized This Woman’s Car After Her Then-Boyfriend Allegedly Picked Up a Prostitute– February 5th, 2020 | VICE
- Barton Morris Law Firm, The Institute for Justice File Suit in Federal Court to Stop ‘Unreasonable’ Vehicle Seizures by Wayne County Sheriffs Dept. – February 5th, 2020 | DBusiness Magazine
- Lawsuit Takes Aim At Civil Asset Forfeiture In Wayne County – February 5th, 2020 | Deadline Detroit
- Wayne County vehicle seizure, forfeiture policies spark class-action lawsuit – February 5th, 2020 | The Detroit News
In October of 2014, Barton was the first attorney in Michigan to earn the American Chemical Society designation Forensic Lawyer-Scientist due to the completion of several intensive courses in forensic chromatography, which are comprised of over 160 hours of education and lab and passing a very difficult comprehensive examination. Barton Morris is 1 of only 22 attorneys in the nation to have earned this distinction, and remains the only Forensic Lawyer-Scientist in Michigan.
Additionally, Barton Morris has earned several professional distinctions including being chosen as a Top Lawyer of Metro Detroit for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2019 and 2020 for criminal defense by DBusiness and Hour Magazine. He is rated 10/10 by AVVO and was also selected to Super Lawyers® in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys, President, 2019-present
- Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys, Faculty and Board Member 2014-present
- Marijuana Legal Workgroup, Selected Member on behalf of AG Dana Nessel, 2019-present
- Graduate of the Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan, Criminal Defense College, August 2010
- Featured on Let It Rip, WJBK – My Fox Detroit, August 2011 and February 2018
- Rated 10/10 by AVVO
- Selected Super Lawyer 2014-2019
- Selected a Top Lawyer of 2012-2014, and 2019-2020 by DBusiness Magazine
- Media Appearances on 89X, 101 WRIF, 97.1 The Ticket, Fox 2 Let it Rip, and WXYZ Channel 7
- Graduate NCDD Summer Session, Harvard Law School, July 2013
- Trial Lawyer’s College Alumni F Warrior Board Member, Region 7 2013-2016
- Graduate Trial Lawyers College, Dubois, Wyoming, September 2011
- Graduate Michigan State University College of Law, May 1998
- Clerk for the Honorable David F. Breck, Oakland County Circuit Court Judge 1995-1998
- Graduate of the National Criminal Defense College, Macon, Georgia, June 1999
- Graduate Western Michigan University, Haworth College of Business, Bachelor in Business Administration, May 1994
Certificates of Completion
- American Chemical Society “Lawyer-Scientist” Designation, October 2014
- American Chemical Society Forensic Chromatography Solid Drug Testing Course, April 2014
- American Chemical Society Forensic Chromatography GC/FID Blood Alcohol Testing Course, August 2013 and October 2014
- American Chemical Society Forensic Chromatography – GC/MS DUID Course, June 2014
- Drug Recognition Evaluation (DRE) Practitioner Course – twice completed
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) Practitioner Course – completed three times
- DMT Datamaster Evidential Breath Testing Operator Training Course
- BAC Datamaster Evidential Breath Testing Operator Training Course
- Michigan Association of OWI Attorneys, President and Board Member
- State Bar of Michigan, Marijuana Law Section, Board Member 2016-2020, Chair of Science Committee
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Criminal Practice Committee, Federal Bar Association Eastern District of Michigan
- National College of DUI Attorneys, General Member, Faculty
- Trustee, DUI Defense Lawyers Justice Foundation
- Charter Member and Faculty, DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- American Chemical Society, Chemistry and Law Division
- American Academy of Forensic Scientists
- State Bar of Michigan, admitted November 6, 1998
Licensed to Practice Law
- State of Michigan
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
Blogs by Barton Morris
The Right Firm Asks The Right Questions
What Sets The Law Offices of Barton Morris Apart?
Over Two Decades of Legal Experience Within A Variety of Practice Areas
We’ll Tackle Even The Most Challenging Cases & Refuse To Back Down
We Have a Successful Track-Record Obtaining Favorable Outcomes For Our Clients
Our Seasoned Trial Lawyers Aren’t Afraid To Go To Court & Fight For Your Rights
From Our Clients
50+ Reviews, 5 Star Ratings
Stop your Google search, pick up the phone and retain the services of the best criminal defense team in the state of Michigan. When you hire Barton Morris to represent you, you should be confident in knowing that the lawyers on his team will fight for your legal rights in every way possible. Mr. Morris and his associates legal knowledge is unsurpassed bar none. Although my case was unique, having been on the lam for sixteen years, Mr. Morris was able to prove that the lack of evidence was detrimental to the prosecution and all charges were dismissed. Mr. Morris happened to be the second lawyer that I contacted. The first lawyer said he would take my case for a $10K retainer fee and that I had a long road ahead of me. The next day, I contacted Mr. Morris and knew from our first conversation that I was in good hands with his representation. Stop shopping around and hire Barton Morris today!