Best Oakland County Michigan DUI Lawyer
Arrested for a DUI or OWI in Oakland County? If so, you will need to retain the services of a criminal defense attorney in Oakland, Michigan. Facing a Oakland County DUI charge can be very frightening. Besides the embarrassment of being arrested, the cost of getting out of jail and getting your vehicle released from the impound lot can take a significant toll on your finances. Additionally, the impact of a DUI conviction on your driving record can affect your entire life. It doesn’t simply drop off your driving record after a few years; it stays on it for life. The only way to ensure this doesn’t happen is to find a Oakland County criminal defense lawyer who will fight to win your DUI case.
Possible Oakland County DUI penalties
The penalties for a DUI or OWI in Oakland, Michigan, can vary depending on whether it is your first, second, third or subsequent offense. This portion of sentencing can come from the court itself. It can consist of:
- A Combination Of Fines And Costs – These can range from $100-$5000 (usually assessed over a one or two year period).
- Possible Jail Time – Up to 5 years in jail.
- Random Drug And Alcohol Testing – This includes bond conditions as well as probation.
- Some Sort Of Rehabilitative Programming – This can involve either inpatient or outpatient treatment depending upon what is sentenced as well as substance-abuse counseling and very commonly – mandatory attendance at 12 Step programming such as AA or NA.
- Community Service − Up to 360 days in community service
- Alcohol Awareness Classes (MADD Victim Impact Panels)
- Sobriety Court – If eligible, and a client completes the program successfully can be afforded a reduced suspension time of the their driver’s license to as few as 45 days after which time an ignition interlock would be used. This is far more encouraging than being sidelined without a license for longer periods of time – making everything else considerably more difficult.
The Administrative Sanctions
These penalties are determined by the Michigan Secretary of State’s office and penalize your right to drive. They are a separate and distinct matter from what the court decides upon sentencing including:
- Loss of Driver’s License – It can be either restricted or revoked altogether for an extended period of time depending upon the charge and priors on the record. This alone can and will have a devastating impact on your quality of life.
- Points on Your Driver’s License – This will undoubtedly increase your auto-insurance premiums.
- Immobilization / Interlock Device – Again, either mandatory or permissive upon what the court ordered at sentencing. These devices are cumbersome and expensive with a lengthy time period for their use.
Finally, as mentioned earlier these penalties do not include the fact that drunk driving convictions remain on your criminal record. They cannot be expunged and can have a negative impact on many other daily life concerns for years to come, such as getting and keeping a job and other various security clearing measures – notably the right to freely travel.
OWI / DUI cases are very often complex because of the tooling and instrumentation not only involved in obtaining evidence but analyzing it once it has been collected. Sometimes, police and prosecutors are misinformed as to what they materials they actually have in order to obtain a conviction, and it is in this way that Mr. Morris can effectively fight for you in court to at least have your charges reduced if not dropped altogether. A not guilty decision is the ultimate goal as it allows you to move on with your life without the charges listed above interfering with your future. Some OWI / DUI defenses are:
- The Police wrongfully stopped your vehicle
- You weren’t really driving
- The Police inaccurately administered field sobriety and breath or blood tests
- The testing instruments used (breath and blood) are not working properly
Experience and skill are musts in a courtroom
One attorney who believes that every Oakland County DUI case is winnable is Barton Morris. He’s known as one of the top criminal defense lawyers in Michigan for good reason. DBusiness Magazine named him as a Top Lawyer in Metro Detroit not once, but twice – in 2012 and 2013. Attorney Morris has successfully defended his clients in Oakland County DUI cases because he has been able to effectively use one or more of four common DUI defenses. Those include:
- Legal challenge defenses
- Blood test defenses
- Breath test defenses
- Field sobriety defenses
Barton Morris has received extensive training on the DMT Datamaster breath machine. This is the instrument used to determine the bodily alcohol content of someone arrested by Michigan law enforcement for suspected drunk driving. In addition, Attorney Morris is very familiar with the scientific principles that apply to how alcohol is absorbed and eliminated from the body. This knowledge helps Barton Morris expertly prepare each Oakland County, Michigan, DUI case and he has an amazing success rate at trial.
What Can You Do About All Of This?
The Law Office of Barton W. Morris, Jr. has TRIED and SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDED Numerous Drunk Driving Cases in Oakland County Michigan.
Mr. Morris has defended several Oakland County DUI cases to great success. He is well versed in the penalties and consequences presented. He understands the gravity that these charges can bring and what types of defenses are available to fight against them in court. His knowledge and expertise will prove invaluable when it comes to helping you deal with the police, prosecutors and the courts. Most case facts and charges are rather particular and unique in nature, so you will want the very best drunk driving criminal defense lawyer available. The Law Office of Barton W. Morris, Jr, is available to you any time to discuss the facts of your case and to create a specialized, particular defense as well as excellent representation from the beginning of your case to post-conviction if necessary.
Do not get yourself into a situation that is very difficult to come out of. Let Mr. Morris begin working with you as soon as possible on your case to work toward the best solutions available to you. Contact his office today at (248) 541-2600 to begin working on your OWI / DUI charge.